Skarn( Magic of Incarnum, p. 15)
|Base speed:||Land 30|
|Bonus Languages:||Abyssal , Celestial , Draconic , Elven , Infernal|
Skarn are strong, sophisticated warriors of intellect. Like the rilkans, they are descended from the vanished mishtai progenitor race, which long ago infused all mishtai with incarnum in an attempt to achieve "Perfection of form." Skarn appear human except for the five or six vertically aligned reptilian spines that project from the anterior of each forearm, posterior of each calf, and the upper back. Skarn society is insular and demands both mental and physical achievement. They are a proud race – some would say arrogant – and they boast soulborns, paladins, rangers, and fighters of other "hybrid" classes that exemplify perfection of both mind and body.
Skarns are adept at fighting with their arm spines and use them as much as possible in combat. In addition, skarns who can wield incarnum use their soulmelds to enhance their combat prowess.
Skarns are about as tall as humans, but they are much more solidly built. They average 6 feet tall and 210 pounds. They appear human save for their most salient feature, their spines. These spines grow to six to twelve inches in length and range from turquoise and aquamarine in females to navy and sapphire in males. The spines are not retractable, but they can be held flush against the skin with little effort. At social occasions, the spines are layered with chiffon or gold chains. Spine jewelry and grooming are as important to a skarn as beard braiding and knotting are to a dwarf.
- +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity: The hulking skarns are extraordinarily strong, but tend to be slow.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, skarns have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Skarn base land speed is 30 feet.
- Humanoid (Reptilian): Skarns are humanoids with the reptilian subtype.
- Natural Weapon (Spines): A skarn can make one attack with his arm spines each round, either with his primary hand or with his off-hand (taking the normal penalties for fighting with an off-hand weapon). This attack deals 1d6 points of piercing damage; if it is used as an off-hand weapon, the skarn may add only one-half his Strength bonus to the damage roll. A skarn can't attack with his spines and a weapon wielded by the same arm in the same round. If a skarn makes a spine attack with an arm carrying a shield, he loses the shield's bonus to AC until the start of his next turn.
If the skarn has a soulmeld bound to his arms chakra, his spine attacks are treated as lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. See Chakra Binds, page 51, for details.
- +2 racial bonus on Intimidate and Climb checks: Skarns learn quickly how to use their spines to create a display of ferocity. These same spines aid skarns when they climb.
- Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elf, Celestial, Abyssal, and Infernal. Because skarns consider themselves slightly improved over the average mortal race, they learn the languages of those they consider to be their approximate equals.
- Favored Class: Incarnate.